Thursday, August 9, 2007

If You're Still Bitter About Bonds I've Got Your Solution

I can't really work up any ire over Barry Bonds breaking the home run record. I guess my feelings on Bonds are best summed up by this quote from Samuel L. Jackson;

"Guilty, innocent, whatever, you know? Barry still hit the ball out of the park. The ball's been hit out of the park that many times by this particular guy, so they can put asterisks by the record if they want to, or whatever, but it doesn't change the fact that he did it."

But, there are people who are really upset by Bonds taking over the record. As a public service I have devised a way for these people to regain their love of baseball. My solution minimizes the incentives for current players to take steroids and doesn't celebrate former steroid users.

The answer is simple, let's only celebrate inside the park home runs. Sure, chicks dig the long ball, but with the right promotion this just might work. We can build off of Ichiro's MVP earning inside the park home run in the All Star Game. We can probably get Bob Costas on board too. In my head I can already hear him covering the biggest story in sports, whether or not this is the year that some major leaguer will break Sam Crawford's single season record of 12 inside the park home runs.


Speaking of Crawford, he's also the career leader in inside the park home runs with 51. So spread the word, Sam Crawford is the "new" home run king.

No comments: