Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Bob Dole And George McGovern

It looks like this blog's theme of the day is to highlight Bob Dole in peculiar pairings. This time he's being paired in an ideological odd couple with George McGovern on the issue of having a "means test" which would allow rich retirees to opt out of the program, allowing money to be diverted towards care for children and infants. Sounds like a good idea to me.

As I was writing this I just found that this McGovern-Dole alliance has deeper roots than I thought. The clip below shows them combining their senatorial-super-friend-powers on the issue of school breakfasts.

I find it funny that these two failed presidential candidates have link themselves on some issues much like Bill Clinton and George H.W. Bush did in 2006 and early 2007. Is there some unwritten rule that presidential election winners and losers can only join forces with others of the same electoral fate?

As of now I don't have any Dole-McGovern World Tour shirts, but who knows, maybe one day. For now you can settle for a regular Dole-Kemp shirt, or the always classic McGovern '72 shirt.

No comments: